Sunday, April 26, 2009

Last Night in France

Today was a rather dreary day. It rained all morning, but we decided to head out and about anyway. We did learn that a lot of shops are closed on Sunday in Nice, so we went into a few places that were open and will be heading back home with a few souvenirs. Dean also got his swim in! He can now say that he has swam in the Mediterranean Sea! It was way too cold for Heather to take a dip!

Tonight is our last night in Nice. Tomorrow we will be catching a plane at 10AM (Nice time) to Paris, then on to Atlanta! I'm both excited to be heading home and also wish we had a few more days here. The people that we have met in Nice are very friendly. The views of the sea and the mountains are stunning! The first few days were absolutely beautiful. I hope that I've at least captured a bit of Nice's beauty. The bread here is amazing! Man can not live on bread alone, but boy is it sure good in Nice!

I am dying for some sweet tea!! There is no such thing as iced tea here. I can't wait to get back home and get some. I also miss chicken nuggets. I saw some in the window of the McDonald's today (yes they have a McDonald's) but Dean insisted that I do not go in. I did find a restaurant that served hamburgers and fries, but I was told not to eat the beef here, so a nice juicy hamburger would be good too. I also really miss being able to understand people. I have had at least 2 people try to communicate with me and I had to try to tell them that I do not understand what they are saying.

Here are some things I've learned about France, well, at least the part we're in:
- Small sidewalks
- Small Cars that drive fast
- No washcloths, we have a HUGE towel and an oversized hand towel in our hotel room.
- No ice
- Everyone smokes, everywhere!
- Scooters - the main mode of transportation
- McDonalds, KFC, & Subway (None of which Dean would let me go to)
- Bread, bread and more bread
- Restaurants everywhere!
- Most people walk to wherever they want to go
- Water is not served as freely as in America
- All money under 5 Euro is in coins
- Not everyone takes credit cards
- The older generation is much less modest than the newer generation.

That's all for now! Pictures will follow once we get back home and get over the jet lag while going to work and Dean going to another conference in New York.

Au Revoir France!!

1 comment:

Lorie said...

I'm glad you had such a wonderful time, Eggster! I'm also looking forward to pictures. Rest up!