Tuesday, October 09, 2007

Mean People are...MEAN!

Dean and I absolutely love living in Atlanta. It is a very nice city and Georgia Tech is a wonderful institution. However, I have seen some mean stuff here. Let me start a little over a year ago, before Dean and I were married, Dean had a little run-in with a curb while he was on his bike. The bike's front tire got really messed up and there were some other scratches and such, so Dean locked it up on the bike rack right outside of the apartment until he could get it fixed. Things happened and he never got around to getting it fixed. A short while after we were married, I looked outside and noticed that the bike's back tire was gone - someone had stolen it. Sad, but not a big deal since he needed to get it fixed anyway. Then, a few months after that, I noticed that his bike light was missing. That was really not a big problem because it had broken during the accident and I got him another one that is here in the apartment. Well today, I open the window when I wake up and look outside and notice Dean's bike was gone! Someone stole Dean's bike!!!!

Again, Atlanta is a nice place and I have not felt scared at any point here, (probably because my husband is so strong and will always take care of me) but this is just crazy. First his car is broken into and damaged while they were trying to steal it and now his bike! What's next, the children's play area outside our apartment? I don't understand people sometimes...

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Maybe Georgia Tech took it since it has been locked up there for a long period of time. They just thought someone had left it and maybe moved.
Sorry. But there are still some good people around. You will soon see something good happen to offset this.

Dean said...

Reasonable thought, but I know they don't. The bike rack out near the bus stop is completely full off backtire-less bikes and has been ever since I moved in. GaTech doesn't care, sadly.

Lorie said...

Yeah, People around here take their bikes into the house/apartment with them (very inconvenient when you live high up, unless you have elevators). A bike wouldn't last a day outdoors. Baltimore has a big drug problem, and this has resulted in lots of crime, which has affected us (Janet and I) a little as well.

However, I'll have to agree with your dad. I suspect that there are plenty of law-abiding and friendly people around; but we often don't see how nice a lot of people are because unfortunately the negative stuff that happens is more noticeable, and can impact us more deeply. Fear, anger, frustration, and sorrow are formidable emotions.

I'm sorry that this stuff happened to you, Eggie. If you're interested, I have a dark green mountain bike sitting in a garage in Chesterfield -- it really wants some using. It was supposed to be one of the ways I was going to get exercise, so naturally it has been pretty much untouched.