Friday, May 24, 2013

Delivery Fiascos

*CAUTION* This post contains a lot of ranting!

It just isn't meant to be.  I am not suppose to have anything delivered to my house on time or correctly the first time.

It all started with the sofa.  We ordered a sectional for our living room in our new house.  It was the first piece of new furniture that we bought for our home.  It is a very comfy leather sofa with a chaise lounge on the left side for me so that my feet will be near the fireplace and a recliner at the other end for Dean, away from the fireplace.  On delivery day I was so excited!  The guys bring in the first part of the sectional, the chaise lounge and my heart sinks.  The arm is on the right side, not the left.  The delivery guys remained calm and suggested they bring in the other pieces.  The corner piece comes in and it is good.  Then the recliner comes in.  It is a right arm recliner which is correct.  Then they bring in a middle piece and that was it.  Not only was the chaise lounge incorrect but also a second middle piece was missing.  The delivery guys call their manager and I explain what is wrong and what is missing.  They confirm that everything on our order form was correct, but somehow the people who loaded the delivery truck did not load the correct pieces.  They would have to order the correct chaise lounge and another middle piece from the manufacturer.  After another several weeks of waiting, we finally had our complete sectional.  There was a lot more to this story that I left out, but I will say that we will not be dealing with this company ever again.

We had ordered a few pieces of bedroom furniture from another company and they were delivered without any problems.  We decided to do business with them again and have some custom pieces made.  Apparently no one sells armoires anymore or if they do, they are really small.  Well, Dean needs Dean sized furniture for his closet space since our walk in closet is filled with my things!  We were told that the pieces would take 8-10 weeks to be made.  We went over all the details with the representative down to the color stain we wanted so it would match the other pieces we purchased from them.  After 10 weeks we did not hear anything from the company so I placed many calls to them trying to track down our purchases.  I am the type of person who would rather hear that there is no update instead of not hearing anything at all.  At about 12 weeks the armoires were delivered!  When they opened up the back of the van the first thing we noticed is they were not stained.  I could not believe after taking extra time they were not finished.  Right now we are sitting at almost 15 weeks and we still do not have the furniture we ordered.  The one thing that makes this whole situation better is that we got to see the armoires and they are beautiful!  The craftsman really knows his stuff and when we finally get these pieces they are going to be a treasure of ours for years!

One of the things I knew had to be replaces when we purchased this house was the refrigerator.  It was small and old and at one point it smelled.  I was not happy with the ice maker or the water dispenser.  It just was not what I wanted.  Dean and I shopped and compared and picked out a beautiful new LG fridge.  I was so excited when it was delivered.  We had all of our food in coolers and on the cabinets.  The delivery guys came in and took our the old fridge and I was happy.  They unboxed the new fridge and I was happy.  Then...they determined that the fridge was too wide to fit through the door.  They took off the handles and laid them on our sofa.  On the handles were these big green stickers that said, "AVOID REMOVING HANDLES."  I shrugged and said they must know what they are doing.  Well, after the handles were removed the fridge was still too big so they took off the doors and finally maneuvered the fridge into our kitchen.  With the doors back on and the plastic all removed the only thing left was to reattach the handles.  The first one went on fine.  The second one, not so much.  The bottom attached but the top was loose.  They moved on to the freezer and that handle wasn't going on either.  The guys called their manager and he said to bring the fridge back and they will order me a new one.  I said, "NO WAY!"  I talked them into leaving the new fridge since it took them so long to get it in the house and ordering replacement handles.  They said that was okay.  A month and several phone calls later we got handles delivered!  When the guys came in the house I knew right away that neither handle in their hand was a freezer handle.  So after that visit we now had both fridge handles properly attached but no freezer handle.  Another week has gone by and another 5 phone calls placed to the delivery manager and I have had enough.  Today I called Home Depot.  They said LG is shipping me my freezer handle and it will be here in 7-10 business days.  I am more optimistic that we will receive what we need this time, but who knows.

Is it me?  Am I just bad luck when it comes to receiving deliveries?  I find it difficult to be in my shoes.  I do not get mad at the delivery guys because it isn't their fault.  I try to be nice to the people I deal with hoping to get the issues figured out quickly.  The thing that bothers me the most is someone, somewhere is not doing their job in each of these cases.  I just wish that people took more pride in their work.  If I was the person providing the merchandise I would go out of my way to make my customer happy.  In none of these cases have we been given a discount or any personal service to get the problems solved.  What has happened to common courtesy?

Maybe one day we will have everything we ordered correct and in our house.

No comments: