Wednesday, October 17, 2012

A Tribute

On October 12 Heaven welcomed a new angel.

I have known Miss Vickie my whole life.  She was a part of the Asbury church family and was always around for events, especially the annual Halloween Party at the Davis House. 

Miss Vickie was a Brest Cancer Survivor.  I did not understand everything that she went through because I was too young when she was diagnosed.  But I knew that she was a fighter and she fought with everything she had to get through treatments.  Every Relay for Life event we walked in, we walked in honor of Miss Vickie.

My mom and Miss Vickie worked in the church office together.  It is not a glamorous job to work on the business side of the church, but with the two of them together, they made it fun.  Sometimes I would call my mom at work and would hear Miss Vickie in the background.  I would have to stop mid sentence and tell Miss Vickie "Hi" through my mom.  I can still hear her voice yelling back, "Hi Heather!"

I will always be grateful to Vickie for stepping up and taking over Vacation Bible School for me.  It was my first time being in charge of VBS.  I had worked for months and months going over material and ideas to make that week of VBS memorable.  A few days before VBS kickoff I found out that my grandfather had passed away and we had to go to West Virginia right away.  Without even thinking, Miss Vickie and some other wonderful people took control and everything went off without a hitch.  She was always there to give to those in need.

When I was old enough I was allowed to go on the Girls Retreats with my mom.  The group of women that get together for these weekend getaways are some of the best people you will ever meet.  Even though Dean calls them "crazy ladies," they are mighty special to me.  No matter where we go, we always have a great time and a million laughs.  I am thankful that I got to spend this time with Miss Vickie.

Miss Vickie loved life.  She was surrounded by a loving family and faithful friends.  She lit up a room with her presence and her absence will be felt greatly.  There is a Celebration of Life for Miss Vickie tonight at Asbury.  I am sad that I cannot be there to grieve with my church family, but I will be praying for them. 

Miss Vickie...we love you.  You Go Girl!

Emily, Miss Vickie and me at VBS
Miss Vickie and her husband Rusty and my dad at Asbury's Live Nativity. 

My first Girls Retreat to Reading, PA.

1 comment:

Sara O said...

Well said. :-)