Friday, June 26, 2015

A Tribute - Daddy Roo

A lot of people have bad experiences with their in-laws, but I lucked out.  My father-in-law was one of the good ones.

Roy Leon Lewis, Jr. was a simple guy.  He loved his family, his dogs and a good day on the golf course.  He had a servant's heart.  Daddy Roo was a stay at home dad and was always involved with his sons lives.  He volunteered in the church, with scouts and wherever else he was needed.   

He did not like the mushy stuff.  He would probably roll his eyes at this tribute.  The first year I got him a sensible birthday card, I quickly learned that the insulting ones were better accepted.

Even though Daddy Roo wasn't mushy, I knew he loved me.  One time on a family vacation to the beach, we were getting in the car to go to dinner when I mentioned to Daddy Roo that his beach look was a little scruffy.  He then proceeded to scratch my cheek with his stubble!  One night while staying at the Lewis house in Richmond, I went to tell Daddy Roo goodnight before going to bed.  I gave him a hug and he kissed me on my cheek.  I'm pretty sure it only happened that one time!  One of my most favorite memories of Daddy Roo will always be the day that I was very pregnant and enjoying a milkshake in the recliner at his house.  Daddy Roo, who really loved ice cream, quietly came up behind me and sat on the arm of the chair trying to steal my milkshake.  The chair was off balance just enough that it, and everyone on the chair, fell backwards!  Neither of us could get up and we were laughing so hard.  Everyone was ok, but I will never again drink a milkshake without looking over my shoulder!

I will miss his random calls to check in on my coworkers, the bunny slippers.  I will miss finding his coffee cup in the microwave.  I'll miss his sticky buns, rolls and other goodies.  I'll even miss taking extra thought in deciding where to sit at a restaurant because of our special left handed family member.  There will forever be a void in our family.  We will miss our easy going, stoic cornerstone with a cynical smirk that everyone loved.

One of the hardest things about losing Daddy Roo is that Connor will not remember his Grampy Roo.  We will try our best to let Connor know how much he was loved by his grandfather.  We will tell him of stories of his Grampy Roo feeding him a bottle, carrying him around at night during a fussy period and watching him while the rest of the family was at Penguin Plunge.  Daddy Roo loved his grandkids.  Instead of taking big trips to beautiful places, he spent this last year between North Carolina and Vermont visiting with his grandchildren.

I am forever grateful to Daddy Roo for being a wonderful example to his sons of a loving husband and father.  I know that his legacy will live on through them and I pray that it keeps spreading throughout the family tree.  The world could definitely use more people like Daddy Roo!

Daddy Roo: When it is time for us to meet again, I'll be looking for you at the pearly gates.  Bring the Gator full of puppies and don't hold back on that mushy stuff.  I'll want a great big hug AND a kiss on the cheek!  I miss you and I love you, Daddy Roo!

Dean, Daddy Roo and the Ramblin' Wreck of Georgia Tech
Daddy Roo messing with Daisy
Connor and his Grampy Roo
Daddy Roo and Dr. Dean!
Not sure what they were looking at, but they were both amused by it!
Right before Connor spit up on Grampy Roo's head!
Grampy Roo and his Vermont grandkids!
Daddy Roo, Mama Jane and Connor
This last picture may not be the most flattering picture, but I love it.  I love it because I can hear the conversation before the picture is taken.  In my mind it goes something like this.

Mama Jane: Let's take a selfie.
Daddy Roo: Why?
Mama Jane: So I can send it to Dean and Heather
Daddy Roo: I just want to eat my ice cream.

And then Daddy Roo complies because it will make his wife happy.  I am so thankful he did because I love it!

All of Connor's grandparents!

No comments: