Saturday, April 11, 2015

A Tribute - Peaches

Dean's parents lost their 14 year old German Shepherd dog this week.  Peaches was an exceptional dog.  Even until the very end, she had a puppy mentality inside her old dog body.
When I first met Peachy I was still a little scared of dogs.  Peach was HUGE!  She was playful and excited and a little overwhelming.  As I got to know her more and got over my fear, I fell for her and her love of life.
Peaches loved Dean.  When Peach was a puppy, she would gnaw on Dean's knuckle.  She built a bond with him early on.  Whenever he was around, she was right by his side.
Peachy was obsessed with tennis balls.  She would always have one in her mouth chewing on it.  I still have no idea how she never bit off her tongue.  There were many Christmases where Peachy received bags full of tennis balls.  She wanted to chew all of them!
Peach loved to swim!  She would be the first one in the water even when we weren't going swimming!
My favorite memories of Peachy involve her and, you guessed it, tennis balls.  Dean's parents have a second floor balcony in their house that overlooks the living room.  When I was dating Dean, I would go to visit his parents and I would sit on the couch to catch up with them.  Every time I visited, Peaches would grab a tennis ball, make her way upstairs and chew the ball right above where I was sitting.  Every once in a while she would drop the ball right near me!  I think she wanted me to know
that she was Dean's favorite girl. 
I think we will always remember the Thanksgiving dinner that was almost ruined by Peachy.  Dean was in charge of corralling the dogs upstairs and removing all of the tennis balls.  After the table was all set and the family started to gather in the kitchen we hear a SPLAT in the dining room.  Then we hear from Dean's mom, "Dean!  You had one job!"  Peaches somehow found a baseball stashed away upstairs and dropped it, right in the middle of the Thanksgiving table!  Thank goodness it landed in the butter and not on any of the dishes!
Peaches, Peach, Peachy, P, Pisa, Biggie Fry, Pretty As A...we love you.  You will be missed.  Thank you for making our life a little better.


No comments: