Saturday, November 21, 2009

Anticipation

Happy Birthday Grandad! (11/17)
Happy Birthday Brian! (11/17)

This time next week, Dean and I will be in Virginia!! I love Thanksgiving. I love the food, the friends and family. I love spending the day thinking about things that I'm thankful for. It's a really good time of the year. I am still holding out on not celebrating Christmas until AFTER Thanksgiving. I don't think that we should gloss over this wonderful holiday to focus on another wonderful holiday. Don't get me wrong, I LOVE Christmas, but this is the season for thanks! By the way, I already have a Christmas book and a new Christmas CD lined up for the day after Thanksgiving! :-)

A little rant:
I've been sick all week. It started with coughing, sneezing and sore throat and quickly changed to a horrible sounding cough on Thursday. I called to make an appointment with my doctor for Friday morning. There are NO appointments available, unless I call Friday morning at 7am. I really understand their policy since I'm scheduling an appointment for less than 24 hours in the future, but...I gave up and called Friday morning. I get my appointment and I go to the doctor. The receptionist hears me cough and makes me put on a surgical mask. It's really hard to breathe in one of those when you're stuffed up and coughing. Then, my doctor comes in. I've never seen her before, but she isn't very nice. She didn't shake my hand and she definitely didn't smile. She told me I have a viral infection and told me to take Zyrtec. I tell her that I take Zyrtec every day. Then she prescribes Flonase nasal spray. I tell her I take Flonase every day. Then, she proceeds to tell me how to use Flonase. I've been taking these medications or medications like these for as long as I can remember, but apparently my doctor can not read that from my records. She's about to end the appointment when I try one last attempt to reason with her. I tell her that if you look in my records you will see that if you send me home I'll be right back here on Monday. She said that she doesn't recommend an antibiotic, but she can prescribe it to me. Then...under her breath!!!...she says, "It's not my body."

Call me crazy but I thought that physicians were supposed to care for the patient. I thought they were suppose to look out for the good of the patient's health and do all in their power to get us healthy and keep us healthy. I don't ever want to see this physician again. If she can't take the time to look at my records and see that I have allergies, then she doesn't have time to diagnose me correctly.

*end rant*

Oh, by the way, I did get the medication I wanted and already this morning I'm feeling much better! I'll be able to taste the turkey on Thursday after all! YAY!!!

2 comments:

Lorie said...

that's really obnoxious! Does she work with a group of physicians? If so, you could totally write to them and let them know you're disgruntled with the mismanagement of your care, not to mention rudeness. You are a customer and should get better service.

What did prescription did she give you?

Lorie said...

ps -- I'm glad you're feeling better! I think doctors are really sick of people demanding antibiotics when they have a viral infection; but that shouldn't mean that they don't pay attention to their patients' symptoms!