Saturday, December 07, 2013

A Tribute to My Mamaw

My Mamaw was an extremely independent woman who always found a way to have fun. 

Mamaw and I had a bond from the beginning.  Her name, Marie, is my middle name.  Whenever I visited Mamaw life was all about having fun!  She had a swimming pool that we would swim in for hours.  We would order pizza from Pizza Hut and Mamaw would even get me Cheesy Breadsticks just because I wanted them.  On Saturdays at Mamaw's we would run errands, but she would always say we were "going on an adventure."  Somehow it seemed more magical that way.

Mamaw and Baby Heather Marie
Every Christmas Eve we would have a big family dinner at Mamaw's and open gifts.  I was the youngest grandchild so I would get to hand out all the presents from under the tree.  Mamaw always had a fire going in the fireplace and it was so cozy and warm.  Santa always delivered my gifts to Mamaw's house.  Mom would wake me up on Christmas morning and I would shuffle in to the living room where the rest of the family was gathered to see what Santa brought.  Those memories will always be the definition of a perfect Christmas.

Mamaw loved the beach, jigsaw puzzles, music and movies with Cowboys and Indians.  She loved to sing and had a beautiful voice.  She loved flowers and nature.  Mamaw would talk to the trees and animals.  She had such a gentle nature.

Dean's favorite memory of Mamaw was not too long ago when we took her to have some blood work done.  Dean was driving with Mamaw in the front seat when he started to take a back way out of the hospital parking lot.  There was a steep hill that we had to drive down.  Dean said "if you raise your arms, it's more fun."  Of course, my Mamaw raised both arms in the air!  All I could do was smile!

I'll always remember Mamaw's big smile, laugh and warm hugs.  Every time we left Mamaw's house, I always had to be the last one to hug her so that my hug would last the longest.  Sometimes it was a fight, but I always got the last hug.

Dad, Me, Mamaw and Mom - VCU Graduation
Mamaw's nickname for me was Angel Girl.  I never questioned how much she loved me.  I will always strive to be her Angel Girl here on earth and know that she is my Angel in Heaven. 

I love you,  Mamaw!

3 Generations - Mamaw, Mom and Me

2 comments:

Mom said...

Heather, that was so beautiful. I know you loved Mom so very much and she loved you more than you will ever know. I hope writing this helps you deal with this as much as it helped me. I love you!
Mom

Sara said...

Beautifully written. Love you!